Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Yarn Diet? What Yarn Diet? (Adriana)

So I have been on a self-imposed yarn diet recently due to the cessation of work when I went back to school (which is seriously the best decision EVER!! I’m loving my new classes.). I was very good for several weeks but then I fell off the wagon. I discovered that a nice lady on Ravelry was selling Socks That Rock for less than list price (slightly less but still), in one of the Christmas colours (which I’d been drooling over. I’m such a sucker for Christmassy stuff) AND I had some money to burn in my paypal account (just the right amount to pay for this yarn plus shipping!). Needless to say I was delighted. I can’t believe that I’ll get to play with STR!!
So that happened on Sunday and then on Monday while I was waiting for the bus I noticed that the girl next to me was carrying the Barbara Walkers stitch dictionaries from the library. Naturally we got talking and she told me that the local yarn store was having a great sale on Jo Sharp. I couldn’t believe that it was actually as deeply discounted as she’d said but Heather confirmed it so I was off to the yarn store before class (despite my high stress level. You can never be too stressed for cheap yarn). The supply was pretty low (Heather and Sam had cleared out 50 balls between the two of them) but I still managed to find some that I love:

josharpred
7 Jo Sharp Classic Wool DK Heather in Brocade (to be a shrug to keep me warm in class)

josharpgrey
3 Jo Sharp Classic Wool DK in Owl (no purpose, I had told myself I could get 10 balls so I had to see it through :P)

All this only cost me $20!! Now you can see why I broke the yarn diet. This will be it for me for the foreseeable future. I will be making a few treks into Toronto to see various shows (The Drowsy Chaperone and Sweeney Todd for those who are musically inclined) but our schedule will be too tight to yarn shop. I’m almost done the Christmas knitting so I’ll be able to knit for myself once again. I can’t wait (not that school will leave me with much knitting time but I’ll take what I can get).

Hey Heather, when do we get to see the new additions to your stash? ;)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been drooooooling over STR forever! I haven't bought any though because I'm afraid that it'll be the beginning of a terrible (or amazing) addiction. I'm also a not working student, and having a fiber obsession is TOUGH! Can't wait to see what you make of it!

Anonymous said...

Great additions to your stash. I am impressed that you are nearly done your Christmas knitting, I won't be doing any this year.

Bertha said...

$20?! Man, I am so jealous! I can hardly ever even find Jo Sharp yarns around here, let alone at that kind of price!! Wow.

Sam said...

I wasn't gonna buy so much yarn, but Heather talked me into it. It's all her fault, really. She's a bad influence on me :)

Unknown said...

I don't blame you for breaking the yarn diet -- those prices are amazing!