Thursday, January 25, 2007

Log Jam (Heather)

First off, proof that I imanaged to block the Donegal hat yesterday. It is missing this morning, so I imagine it was carried off to brave the chills of downtown Toronto.



I knit it with one full skein of Debbie Bliss Donegal Chunky Tweed, I knit it top down, using this pattern and cast off when I thought I was going to run out. Since I was left with about a metre, I can say that this worked very well. Also, since this hat was 24 inches in circumference, and with brim unfolded can cover the nose, I can say with fair authority that there is enough yarn in one skein for any human-sized hat. I also knit it at a tighter gauge for extra warmth, so the result is a nice and sturdy hat that can stand up to our delayed but now vigorous winter.

Now, on to the crux of the post!

Since I seem unable to knit with only one thing on the needles, I had a bit of startitis the other day. Long meaning to knit a log cabin blanket, and inspired by a friend's start, I got busy and knit a square. Then I knit some more, and so on...



As I got to this point, I stopped and pondered. I have a bag of Noro Kureyon that was earmarked for this adventure, you see it in the middle. I wanted a blanket with potential to be as big as I wanted, so I decided to add a contrasting plain colour, cue some Ram Wools Selkirk: certainly not the softest yarn out there, but neither is Kureyon, and they are nearly identical in weight.

My original plan was something that looked like this:



The swampy-brown representing the Kureyon, of course... it will move from bright pink to electric teal, etc. This option has the benefit of having no finite end, therefore I can stop when I run out. I have enough extra selkirk to make a border of my choice.

Of course, a quilt would be lovely... cue option 2!



This would be stunning, no? But there is a finite end to this quilt, and knowing my luck, that end would come just after I run out of Kureyon...

Option 3:



I was too lazy to make a brand new template, so you will have to extrapolate for yourself. I haven't seen one done like this, but maybe there is a reason? Maybe this blanket would be unbalanced? This one of course ends when you want it to, so no yarn shortage looming here.

This is going to be a long-term need-some-boring-garter-stitch project, no deadlines.

Any ideas? I can't promise I will stick to your advice, but I would sure like to hear what you think!

5 comments:

Adriana said...

I like the quilt one the best and you can always get more Kureyon in 10 years when you run out :)

I've been feeling the log cabin call too but I lack the proper yarns (plus I've got projects coming out my ears!!).

Mary deB said...

#2. Because, each of those little squares is a portable project, and the single gigantic square will soon become non-portable. And those long long garter stitch rows.... bleah!

Anonymous said...

I love the colours and especially the noro and the plain.
I like the last pattern the best because it is lends its self to more choices when you are finished. You can rotate that square line, line it up in a row, turn every other row, have it in a diagonal line. Lots of fun with that.

Azura said...

why does your log cabin look so much better than mine?

:~(

Unknown said...

i'm voting for no. 2. you can't beat the portability of smaller squares...though i do love the construciton of no 3. i don't think the blanket would be unbalanced at all--in fact, it would pack one heck of a graphic punch.

so...if you're feeling dangerous, no. 3, and if you're aiming for a portable project no. 2.