Sunday, March 25, 2007

Lacey Green Shrug (Adriana)

Today has been a big day for me because I finished Audrey! But I'm going to save showing it off for a few more days (I like to build up the anticipation), and instead introduce you to what will probably be my favourite article of clothing this summer: my lacey green shrug (formerly known as the Retro-Redux Shrug but what does that really mean?).

The last time you saw it, it looked like this:
shrug1

Since then I seamed the sleeves together (thanks Teacher Heather!) and I picked up and knit over 200 stitches (the second time around. The first time I had considerably less. The lesson learned, pay attention to inches vs centimeters).
Now it looks like this:
shrug finished floor
(Looks kind of like a devouring mouth, right?)

It looks better on a person, see?
shrug finished front

And from the back
shrug finished back

(Now that it's getting nicer out be prepared for many pictures taken from my balcony or the courtyard)

Now for the specs:
Pattern: Retro-Redux Shrug from Lace Style
Yarn: Debbie Bliss' Stella (60% silk, 20% rayon, 20% cotton), 4 balls plus a few meters of the 5th (if anyone has an idea what I can use the rest of the 5th ball for I'd be very grateful)
Needles: 5.5mm, 6mm and 6.5mm (the pattern uses different needles very creatively)
Date Started: March 8th, 2007
Date Finished: March 21st, 2007 (I think)
I took this project with me when I went home to help my parents finish getting their house ready to sell*. Needless to say, I didn't get much knitting done there although it was nice to have on the long bus rides there and back. The shrug then languished for a few days until Heather taught me to seam. After that it was smooth sailing!
This was a really fun project. The lace pattern was simple but beautiful and the Stella was a joy to knit with. I was concerned about substituting a silk/cotton yarn for the wool the pattern called for but it turned out perfectly. I am very happy with this project.


*They sold the house in three days for above the asking price!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're right. It does look much better on a person than on the ground!

Heather G. said...

That last photo looks like it came straight from Interweave Knits!

I am glad that the Stella worked out so well. What a lovely new yarn.

Unknown said...

looking good, lady! i should knit a shrug one of these days. also, gald to hear about the house!

Anonymous said...

That is a great looking garment.