Friday, June 29, 2007

Something Cute (Adriana)

I recently found out that a friend is expecting a baby this summer so naturally I hit up the stash searching for some good baby yarn. I had a fair amount of Rowan Pure Wool DK left over from the latest OSW so I decided on to make Twinkletoes baby booties in the toddler size. Unfortunately I underestimated how much yarn I had left and I ran out halfway through the second sock. Rather than buy more, I ripped back the first sock and put the heel directly after the ties. Miraculous this worked and I was able to finish both heels before running out of yarn (I was knitting the booties simultaneously from either end of the yarn so it looked like they were joined by a little umbilical cord :P). I wasn't able to bind off so instead I used a contrasting colour of DB Cash Aran to make little ties around the top which should help with the fit if they are too big.
Enough rambling, on to the pictures!

twinkletoes1

twinkletoes3a
I call these the Baby Ballet Booties! I hope my friend and baby likes them.

Rachel commented on my Candy Socks that we can expect many more testimonials about how Ravelry helps knitters see old patterns in a new light, and it has happened to me again! I was searching to find a tank top pattern for my Classic Elite Classic Silk and I came across Lelah. I really liked what people had done with it in summer friendly yarns but it didn't seem right for my yarn. Then when I was thinking about picking up some Birthday Calmer I remembered that pattern and was inspired. I'm going to need to do some serious math to make it work (since the original was done with Lopi lite) but I think it's going to be lovely. I'm planning on casting on this weekend.

I hope everyone has a great long weekend! (Is this a long weekend for Americans too?) I'm helping my parents move into their new house tomorrow! I am so thrilled. I'm also hoping to finish my Coupling-at-Sea sock so I should have pictures to show you soon.

3 comments:

Heather G. said...

I love that navy colour! I didn't realize that Twinkletoes came in toddler size.

Anonymous said...

Lucky baby and mom.

Unknown said...

nice booties!