Tuesday, July 3, 2007

One Year Older... (Heather)



I celebrated my birthday this weekend... we went out to stay for the long (Canadian) weekend at my parents' place. We caught a play on Sunday!



A Comedy of Errors at the world-famous Stratford Festival (I love how Stratford makes it all but impossible for even the most nervous tourist to get lost. I did about half of my driving lessons there, but I still appreciate the ample signage!). The play was fanTAStic. All Greco-Roman costumes, the backdrop and set design were amazing, and the comedy was perfect! I am not a usual fan of physical comedy, but this production had just the right amount. And, it being Canada Day, we were asked to stand for the national anthem. Mike heard a woman in front of us say 'Just like at the hockey games!'. She wasn't singing, so we guessed she was a visitor from the States. Anyway. If you have any connection with or interest in Classics, go and see the play. Even if you don't, see the play. If you aren't familiar with the plot, it is a mashup of Plautus' Menaechmi and Amphitrio. This production was set in the 50s AD, so there were even some Roman soliders for Mike.

In the theatre lounge:



What may be one of the coolest quilts ever. Each square represents a Shakespearean play. Around the border are 140 swans. Mike and I had a lot of fun guessing each square.



Sorry for the crappy picture. I took a few, but the lighting was dim. Is there anything neater than stumbling upon a Shakespearean quilt square inspired by an Exekias tondo? Which play do you think it is?

I finished seaming Amaya. The seaming was not as bad as I was thinking it would be. I do want to fiddle with the neck twist, though. If you are on Ravelry you can see the AWFUL picture Mike took of me wearing the just-finished garment. For the rest of you, I will get a better picture tonight.

I did manage to cast on Coachella, but that is literally all. It was a pretty knit-free weekend. Lest you think it was completely yarn-less, however:



Mike, being the wonderful husband he is, ventured into Lettuce Knits to buy me a skein of sock yarn... one I had never even mentioned to him! This is Dream in Color Smooshy, the color is In Vino Veritas. I think I am in love. It is a very smooshy yarn, and there is lots of it. I am thinking I will divide it in half somehow and give that toe-up recipe in the summer IK a shot. I seem to remember Mary wanted to do a knitalong. Still up for it?

9 comments:

Adriana said...

Wow, what a quilt! Gotta love their version of the Exekias tondo.
And that yarn is totally yummy. I can't wait to see the socks you make with it.

Mary deB said...

I have had bad luck with socks lately, and so I suppose I should try something new. Just let me finish another winter hat first....

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday! And beautiful yarn... I think you should keep him! My husband has yet to buy me yarn.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Heather! Thanks for the photos of the amazing quilt. And I have to tell you, I am knitting a pair of Monkey socks out of Smooshy and it is great stuff! You are a lucky lady (nice going, Mike).
Which play is the adaptation of the Exekias cup for?

Anonymous said...

I bet it was the latin name that sold him on that yarn, and of course, he knows you love the colour.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! Your weekend sounds wonderful. Shakespeare and yarn, what could be better? I didn't think I would like the Comedy of Errors when we read it in my Shakespeare class a couple years ago, but I really did end up enjoying all the twisty plot twists and silliness! And that quilt is amazing. I wonder if there's a website for the place that would have more pictures. Hmmm...

Heather G. said...

Heather L: I googled the heck out of this quilt, and no dice so far.

I saw the Comedy over ten years ago at Stratford and was less impressed than I was with this version... it was done in modern attire and was more reliant on the Shakespearean language. This version had everyone in the room laughing, even the kids!

Unknown said...

sounds like a nice trip, lady!

Anonymous said...

Your husband sure has good taste! That yarn looks delicious!