Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Personal Victory (Adriana)

Sorry for the delay in blogging. I volunteered for two weeks at the local theatre to help them get ready for a big special event. It was a lot of fun but between that and school, I was kept very busy. I did, however, manage to get some knitting done (of course).

A couple of years ago I scored a great deal on some Kid Silk Haze. After watching Heather and Jane struggle with this sticky, fuzzy yarn, I was more than a little afraid of it. This January I decided to suck it up and knit something with it. I didn't want to tell anyone what I was doing in case I jinxed myself.

I am pleased to announce that I have successfully knit a shawl with Kid Silk Haze without any incidents! In fact, I want to use this yarn for some wedding knitting (now I just need to find some more good deals on it).

After sifting through dozens of patterns on our good friend Ravelry, I decided to make River, which is from Rowan 38 but is also available for free here. I am very pleased with the end result.

river3
River blocking on my multi-coloured foam blocks

river2
River hanging from the curtain rod (you can't quite make it out but it's actually snowing outside. Lousy Smarch weather)

river1
Close up!

I am madly in love with this shawl and have been wearing it everyday. Unfortunately the navy doesn't show up against my black coat. Also, my Granny tried to kidnap it when I showed it to her last week so I think I'll give it to her for her birthday and knit myself another one (I also have 2 balls of Meadow Green). Until I gift it though I will continue to enjoy it myself :)

4 comments:

Bertha said...

While I find Kidsilk Haze beautiful, it is my most hated of all yarns to work with! I'm glad you were able to conquer it! The river stole is one of my very favorites, I hope to make it someday. Is it relatively simple as far as lace goes? I don't have any lace experience really except for branching out...Yours is super beautiful!

Anonymous said...

KSH is teh evil. Hoorah to you for conquering evil! Very nice shawl though. I like that your grandma tried to steal it. :)

Heather G. said...

I can't believe that it is available for free! That's cool. Glad that you had a better time with River than I... it is a very fun and easy knit (when you bother to read ALL the instructions!)

Unknown said...

Kidsilk isn't evil -- 299 st COs are EVIL.